Production Manager for Bay Area Playwrights Festival 2013
We're looking for an excited and ambitious theatre professional interested in serving as a Production Manager for PF’s 2013 Bay Area Playwrights Festival (BAPF). This will be an independently contracted position.
As Production Manager (PM), you are primarily responsible for all production related functions for the BAPF, including:
- Coordinating all technical and production elements for the festival
- General stage and company management
- Securing and supervising production staff and supervising volunteers
- Fostering strong communication between artists and staff
- Ensuring that festival artists’ needs are fully met so that they can be highly productive
- Supporting the Managing Producer (MP) in planning of any festival logistics and communication of these logistics to festival participants.
SPECIFIC DUTIES include but are not limited to:
Maintain festival production calendar (pre-production and during festival/supporting responsibility):
- Communicate with artistic teams about rehearsal needs, conflicts and schedules
- Update master rehearsal schedule for each production as needed
- Work with Managing Producer to secure and to allocate spaces and other resources according to overall festival priorities
Perform company management duties (pre-production and during festival/primary responsibility):
- Create and disseminate administrative packets for all festival participants to explain procedures and expectations for technical and rehearsal needs, including schedules and contact sheets
- Maintain clear and regular communication between festival artists and staff about schedules, payment, artistic expectation and other administrative issues
Provide coordination of technical elements (pre-production and during festival/primary responsibility:
- Attend regular production staff meetings
- Work with Technical Director (TD) to coordinate and supervise technical load-in and load-out, as well as installation and removal of visual art
- Coordinate and supervise technical rehearsals for each production
- Assist MP and TD with the gathering of all necessary production supplies and equipment, including visual art materials
- Hire TD, Technical Assistant, as additional load in/strike staff as needed
Supervise rehearsal process (during festival/primary responsibility):
- Greet each artistic team and first rehearsal and orient to festival policies and procedures
- Work with MP to develop and fulfill resource usage priorities, including a script copying policy
- Maintain a regular on-site presence during festival to ensure efficient and appropriate use of all resources and rehearsal spaces
- Communicate regularly with artistic teams about production and rehearsal needs
- Assure safe and sanitary working conditions for all festival artists and staff on a daily basis
- Work with Thick House staff to troubleshoot any venue issues
Supervise performances (during festival/primary responsibility):
- Train and supervise festival interns and production assistants
The contract period for the PM will begin on or around May 1, 2013 and continue until successful completion of all duties after the close of the festival on or around August 1, 2013.
The position is part-time (2-5 hours/week) from May to June, increasing to 15-20 hours/week in late June, and full-time from the week before the start of rehearsal (week of July 8) until the completion of the Festival as stated above.
FEE AND TO APPLY
There's a stipend available ranging from $1,750 to $2,500, commensurate with experience.
If you are interested, please send a resume and cover letter to the PF Managing Producer Randy Symank at firstname.lastname@example.org with Production Manager in the subject line. If you have questions, you may email him as well.